foster community engagement through Craft Products and Experiences
QUALITY | Honor tradition, embrace innovation, and proudly craft!
COMMUNITY | Serve as a conduit for shared experiences and inclusive connection
CULTURE | Recognize our diverse regional & industrial past, defining our present, and empowering the future
AUTHENTICITY | Who we are, where we’re from, and what we believe — are integral to the choices we make
STEWARDSHIP | Acknowledge our generational impacts through our commitment to sustainable, responsible, and ethical practices.
A Cellar and Packaging Technician at Ore Dock Brewing Company acts as a proactive and engaged member of our brewing department, maintaining a passion for craft beer in all that they do. He/she assists with many packaging, cellaring, cleaning and maintenance duties at the brewery and otherwise provides support to the brewhouse and cellar as directed. This position is responsible for hands-on support and guidance in ensuring smooth operation of packaging departmental functions, from set-up to clean-up, package preparation, organization, and cleanliness of the packaging and warehouse facilities. The position requires the ability to take direction well, a desire to learn, a can do attitude, and the willingness to create solutions to meet quality and production goals. Ultimately this person works diligently with other members of the team to ensure all beer that leaves the facility is of the highest quality and that the brewery is kept clean, functional, and up to Ore Dock Brewing Company’s standards at all times.
Key Responsibilities (but are not limited to):
• Being a proactive and engaged member of our packaging and cellaring department
• Move and package beer according to cellar and package schedule
• Follow Cleaning & Maintenance Schedules and consult supervisor about cleaning needs, and perform all required cleanings to the appropriate standard including tanks, Brewhouse, kegs and other packaging, packaging line and other equipment as directed
• Record quality control data for each packaging run
• Assist with inventory counts of finished beer, grain, hops, packaging materials and other raw materials inventory as required
• Follow inventory procedures for all raw materials, chemicals, beer, cooperage, small parts, packaging, supplies etc. and report deficiencies to supervisor
• Schedule and manage preventative maintenance in conjunction with operations
• Assist in various brewery maintenance tasks and facility improvement projects
• Participate in beer tasting panels if applicable
• Represent Ore Dock Brewing at various events, festivals and promotions; Promote good public relations and handle complaints and concerns professionally
• Follow all brewery policies and procedures
• Label all kegs and other package product in accordance with federal and state law using appropriate keg collars, labels and date codes per company procedure
• Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and on time
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Requirements:
• Strong communication skills to interact with customers, vendors, and coworkers in a professional manner. The position interfaces with multiple departments within the company; thorough and effective communication is vital.
• Ability to follow detailed instructions and procedures
• Possess the ability to multi-task and manage stressful circumstances associated with a fast-paced and evolving work environment
• Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control as it relates to packaging
• Ability to work both independently as well as in a team environment
• Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures
• Good understanding of quality assurance / quality control and problem solving skills, as well as the ability to troubleshoot packaging related issues
• Ability to work a flexible schedule: days, nights and/or weekends
Physical and Mental Requirements:
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, grasp, handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, and perform repetitive motions of the hands and/or wrists
• Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 55 pounds, and be able to move kegs which weigh close to 165 pounds
• Extremely close visual attention such as making delicate adjustments to control high speed operations to exercise very precise muscular control
Education and Experience:
• Experience in a production brewery preferred
• Mechanical and/or electrical aptitude preferred
• Passion for craft beer and knowledge of basic brewing processes and beer styles preferred
• Excellent time management skills and experience working independently
• While performing the duties of this position, the worker is exposed to inside environmental conditions, extreme heat, potential for physical injury, exposure to hot fluids, pressurized vessels and transfer lines, strong odors, chemicals, and moving machinery. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud most of the time.
• We, as with all breweries, use hazardous chemicals. You should know how to handle them safely and how to not pour them in, on, or around your face or other sensitive body parts.
• In our brewery, as with all breweries, we are bringing liquids to a boil. This means there is hot stuff near you. You should know not to touch the hot stuff.